Thursday, February 19, 2009

Online Trades

Well I have mixed feelings about online trades. I've made a few trades with other bloggers and that has gone fantastic. It's a great way to get to know other people and it helps you to collect the cards you want and trade off the cards that you don't want.

However, I've also joined a few of the online trading sites and this has not gone over so well for me. First off, I mostly collect hockey cards, but I do collect some baseball. Nonetheless, as I have just gotten back into the hobby, I don't have a lot of cards to trade and the majority of the ones I have are hockey cards. This seems to be a problem online as most people I would be trading with collect mostly baseball.

Also as I have just recently started collecting again, most of the sets I'm working on are practically considered ancient as most collectors have completed their sets and moved on to newer sets. So I'm trying to complete the subsets (Rookies, Stars, Legends) for the 08/09 Artifacts Hockey...which has been kind of difficult to do. But I'm in no hurry, so that's a good thing. I also would prefer not to buy cards on ebay.

I guess the point of all this is...I just spend the better part of 2 months putting together a wishlist from one collectors Trade List and had put together a bunch of cards that were on his. We had many correspondences, but they were sporadic at best. I hadn't heard anything from him in the past 2-3 weeks, so I sent him a PM asking if he was still interested in a trade. His response was he was but since the trade was so small he was going to pass! Pass! Small! The total was a buy value of over $40, that's not small to me! Moreover, I had spent so much time trying to put this deal together that he seemed interested in only to get that as a response.

Does anyone else have these experiences or is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. trading hockey is tough. 3 or 4 bloggers do it. Online sites are even tougher. First, they mostly just want to trade for "hits"... who cares? I'm trying to complete the base set.... then they pull out a beckett and say that the five commons I want are worth .55 cents, but the five commons he wants are only worth .50 cents. What can I throw in to make it even?? What?!?!?!?!?
    Yeah, it's tough trading in online forums...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm beginning to figure that out really quickly!

    ReplyDelete